Since being founded in 1992, the SHS Alumni Association (SHSAA) has awarded over half a million dollars in scholarships and teacher special project funds to Omaha South High School. In addition to directly helping SHS students and teachers, SHS Alumni Association has also helped fund several South Omaha athletic fields and honored extraordinary alum with street dedications, Hall of Fame and Packer Sports Greats inductions. THANK YOU! YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
CURRENT SCHOOL SUPPORT
• Awarded $30,000 in scholarships to 29 - 2017 South graduates
• Awarded $20,000 in teacher special project funding for the 2017 school year
• Handed out 225 "Welcome Back" bags to South teachers and staff
• Added a teacher division to SHS Hall of Fame in 2014 to recognize and induct deserving teachers
• Holds an annual Lottery, which is our largest annual fundraiser
• Holds 4 annual fundraisers including a Spaghetti Dinner, Bowling Tournament, Golf Tournament, and Car Show
• Honors extraordinary alumni at annual Hall of Fame & Packer Sports Greats events
• Has renamed 3 South Omaha streets in honor of Dave Rimington, Marlin Briscoe, and Dave Van Metre.
• Has been part of renovations / park dedications at Collin Stadium, Brown Park (John Stella Field), Steve Cavlovic Field, HP (Roy) Smith Field.
• Was awarded a grant to purchase a kiosk. The kiosk has been loaded with pictures and bios of over 200 notable alumnus and is the only one of its kind in an OPS high school.
• Has started the historical preservation of SHS TOOTERS that date back to the early 1900's. Started in 2015, they are being scanned and stored electronically for future viewing on our website.
• Has published an Alumni TOOTER twice a year since 1993.
• Has a current alumni mailing list of 17,749 alumni and SHS friends.
• Assists with class reunions by providing mailing list and spreading the word via social media.
"Donating to our SHS Alumni Association through OmahaGives! helps our school keep the bar of educational excellence set high. It passes along our sense of community pride to future generations." -Bette Swanson, Class of 1946
"As proud graduates of SHS and founding members of the Alumni Association, we urge you to support this worthy cause. If you believe education is the answer to solving problems, donate through Omaha Gives! to increase scholarship awards." -Rudy and Judy Tesar, Classes of 1960 and 1961
"I wholeheartedly support OmahaGives! as it will help students and teachers who have worked so hard to succeed." -John Stella, Class of 1953
"I support Omaha Gives! as I love SHS and the Alumni Association and what they have done over the years to educate students so they succeed." -Bob Campos, Class of 1956
This year our challenge funds were donated by an incredibly generous SHS alum from the class of 1959. Every dollar donated to SHSAA (up to $2000) will be matched thanks to this gift. Let's go Packers!