BluesEd is a non-profit youth talent development program sponsored by the Blues Society of Omaha. BluesEd was founded in 2001, to promote the Blues Society of Omaha's mission of "Keeping the Blues Alive." Students ages 12-18 audition for admittance. After acceptance into the program students participate in workshops & performances concentrated on blues music. They are provided multiple opportunities to perform in a band format. Currently, the program boasts 49 students in 7 performance bands.
1) BluesEd started in 2001, making it one of the oldest (and most experienced) of its kind in Omaha.
2) We have five clinicians who work with each band and are working, well-known musicians in the Omaha/Lincoln/Midwest region.
3) We have 5-7 performance bands a season. Our season runs from April - August, not just a couple of weeks in the summer.
4) Our bands play at multiple venues and multiple times during the season. Not just one season ending performance.
5) In 2018, BluesEd won the prestigious "Keeping the Blues Alive" award from the Blues Foundation in Memphis, TN.
6) Tuition for BluesEd is nominal and includes professional instruction, performance opportunities and much more.
7) Some of our former students have gone on to work professionally in the music industry. We have over 200 alumni from the 16 years of the programs existence.
8) Our bands have a chance to perform at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis during the Youth Showcase.
9) Our bands have performed at the nationally acclaimed Playing With Fire Concert - Omaha series every summer since 2004.
10) Many national & international touring blues groups have worked with our students including: Bruce Katz, Aynsley Lister, Rick Vito, Ben Poole, Peter Karp, Sue Foley and more!
Jill B. - Omaha: "Our daughter had many cool opportunities in Omaha but thinks BluesEd is the most beneficial and exciting. This program is unique across the country, we are learning."
Nick U. - Omaha: "I enjoy the opportunity of meeting new musicians, and the opportunity to learn valuable skills from career musicians. I learned a lot about form of songs, and playing in a band that I did not have experience in before. "
Paul H. - Omaha: "BluesEd is an amazing opportunity for talented youth to practice and perform together, while also learning from some of the area's best musicians."
Derek D. - Omaha: "I lIke everything about BluesEd. It is a great program."
Susie H. - Gretna: "I cannot say enough wonderful things about the program."
Daren K. - Omaha: "Awesome year and loved every minute. So glad that we discovered BluesEd and so grateful for the organization."